Last week, I discovered that a client was losing participation. Lots of participation. Here’s how I made that discovery and why the solution is often the easy part.
At the end of last year, I launched a new program to helps clients constantly improve the bottlenecks in their marketing engine until they are able to profitably convert customers.
I’ve put several clients through this process already and there has been critical discoveries in EVERY case so far.
A Profitable Discovery in the First Week
Last week, I was running discovery on a new client who is an event management company. They are hoping to profitably drive registrations through ads. The process that I’ve developed worked flawlessly and we found there was a huge bottleneck on their website conversion rate.
By sitting in the customers’ chair and watching them interact with the site, I saw that they WANTED to register, but were confused about how to do it. This has been happening for a year or more. Watch the video to see exactly how I discovered the problem.
After installing Mouseflow, I could see visitors doing this:
- Land on the event page.
This is a great sign. Right where we want a visitor to be.
- Click a button that looked like a register now button.
This would take them to a list of all events.
- Visitor would then navigate back to the same event page.
They would stare at it for a bit.
- Visitor would sometimes navigate to “FAQ Registration Section”
This would be their last step.
- Leave the Site.
I saw this pattern repeated over and over by site visitors. There is a clear issue with the user experience and we’re working to fix it.
Finding a Fix
Once you know the problem, the fix is actually quite simple. It’s the discover of the insight that is the challenge. A fresh set of eye helps. Also, keeping an open mind and trying to understand how the customer is interacting with your messaging.